Saturday, July 4, 2009

Lots of Things

Here is my column for tomorrow:

I usually write my column on Thursday night. For some of you who know me well, that probably doesn’t come as much of a surprise since you know that I work best at the last minute. We print the bulletins on Friday morning. Well, it’s Monday night and I’m writing.

My brother is having his colon removed tomorrow. It is a seven hour surgery that will change his life forever. Hopefully the cancer in his colon is found nowhere else in his body. I’ll be with him and our family in Des Moines much of Wednesday to Friday. Thanks for praying for Scott and his recovery.

Here is what has been on my mind lately:

A few weeks ago I challenged all of us to invite a guest to worship this summer. Begin or keep praying about who this person is (or these people are) and when the time is appropriate, invite them to worship with us. I have been working on a few of my friends and have even made an invitation. A simple invitation can change a life.

Vacation Bible School starts next Sunday, July 12th. My kids are excited about it. I always look forward to volunteering each year. I always seem to work with the pre-school games. If you have kids and haven’t registered yet, I encourage you to do so. Also, volunteering is a great way to have fun, invest in the future, and serve God. I hope to see you this year at Vacation Bible School.

If you are new or fairly new, I would like to welcome you! I have had the opportunity to meet some of you over the last few weeks and look forward to meeting others soon! If I haven’t met you yet, I hope you will come introduce yourselves after worship!

Is it me or did the month of June just fly right by? It seems like it was just yesterday that Benjamin had his last day of school. I hope July doesn’t go by so fast.

A more random thought: I always enjoyed listening to 60s music when I was in college. That is like a college student listening to 80s music today. All the sudden I feel a little bit older.

Independence Day. Many of us think about a long weekend, fireworks, BBQ, and friends / family. I am a fan of all those things. I’m even a bigger fan of freedom. The sacrifice of many provides freedom for all. Take time to remember those who served and those who are serving.

The flag is a symbol of economic and political freedom. What a wonderful symbol it is. I want you to consider the two symbols of spiritual freedom: a cup and a cross. We have, through Jesus Christ, forgiveness from the past, power in the present, and hope in the future. Another word for spiritual freedom is grace.

In Christ,

Craig

No comments: