Monday, March 30, 2009

Pain

This afternoon's run was quite painful. It was a nice enough afternoon, but the easy 10.5 miles was anything but easy. I'm pretty sure I have a sports hernia and will be seeing a few medical professionals in the next couple days to see if this is the case.

When I was a chaplain at a mental health hospital, my supervisor, Father Sitzman had a saying: "Pain in life is inevitable, suffering is optional." Pain happens. Jesus said, "Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world." -John 16:33

Tough times in life will come. God acknowledges this. But suffering seems to be more of a choice. God has overcome the world. We can let our pain define us or we can choose to define ourselves in spite of the pain in our lives.

No comments: