Tuesday, May 8, 2007

New Beginnings

I’m back. It is hard to believe that Boston was three weeks ago. Sometimes it seems like it was just yesterday. Sometimes it seems like it was a year ago.

The last three weeks have involved lots of rest. I have run not-as-long and not-as-hard and not-as-often. I have taken a break from writing. I have enjoyed not having to get up early in the morning if I don’t want to. I have enjoyed waking up and not wondering which parts of my body are going to be sore. I have enjoyed having a little more free time. I have enjoyed eating ribs and burgers and onions rings and key lime pies.

All that changes today. I have missed some things. I have missed being focused. I have missed challenging myself. I have missed the time alone with God. I have missed my training partners. I have missed the endorphins. I have missed being structured. I have missed training for a marathon.

Last night I registered for the Twin Cities Marathon which will be run on October 7th. This morning I started my 22 week training plan.

I ran 4 laps around the east side of Lake Zorinsky (the bridge at 168th was flooded) plus a little extra to make it an even 18 miles. I ran for about 2 hours and 15 minutes and averaged just under 7:30 per mile. I did the last 10 miles with Maureen. It was good to run with her again—I hadn’t run with her for a while.

New beginnings are exciting. In the church we have a word for new beginnings. The word is “resurrection.” Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead and gave Lazarus resurrection (John 11:38-44). Like Lazarus, Jesus was resurrected from the dead. It was a new beginning for Jesus. And for the rest of us life hasn’t been the same ever since. For followers of Jesus, death has never been the same either.

Resurrection can happen in our lives. It happens to the runner with a new goal. It happens to the dead person who is now alive. And it can happen to us.

Perhaps you need resurrection from an addiction or resurrection in a relationship. Or maybe it is a resurrection in physical health. Or maybe it is resurrection for purpose in life. The possibilities of new life and resurrection are almost endless.

So dream about new life. Take the first step. It is the most important step and the most difficult step. Know that new life is possible because God says it’s possible (Philippians 4:13).

No comments: