Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My Night as a Police Officer

I will never look at a police car the same again. Tonight I rode with an Omaha Police Officer for about six hours. It was interesting – to say the least – to be in the car looking out rather than outside of the car looking in.

Before, when I saw a police officer, the normal drill was to check my speedometer to make sure I wasn’t speeding. But, from this point on, I will hopefully see a courageous and hard-working person who is trying to make the world a little bit safer and a little bit better.


Not all police officers are good and none of them are perfect. But most of them are dedicated men and women who daily risk their lives in the name of justice. In fact some of them give their lives in the name of justice. Today is National Police Officers’ Memorial Day. One of the most powerful moments tonight was when Beth, the police officer I rode with, took me to the place where Officer Jason Pratt was killed in September, 2003. He was the most recent Omaha Police Officer to be killed in the line of duty. Jesus tells us that there is no greater love than to give one’s life for one’s friends. (John 15:13)

When we break a good law, justice must be invoked not only for goodness’s sake, but also for the sake of the one breaking the law. Without justice, the result of the offense is ultimately disorder and grief for the offender, the offended, and society. Justice opens the door to forgiveness, reconciliation, and restoration.

Beth also took me to the place where Amber Harris was last seen. Flowers laid on the ground. The flowers were a reminder that justice cannot change the past. Nothing can. Justice can only change the present and the future. Without justice, the world would almost make no sense at all. With justice, our complicated world becomes a little less complicated.

Beth helped two young adults who were bitten by a dog. This wasn’t justice – it was mercy. Webster probably has a little different definition of mercy, but for Christians we think of mercy as something like this: compassion and kindness shown to pretty much anybody who is hurting—from a victim to an offender. Mercy and justice are not opposites; mercy and justice are siblings.

The prophet Micah knew this: “And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.”
-Micah 6:8


I ran repeat 200s with Kurt at Millard West. 3 sets of 8 x 200 @ 35 to 37 seconds with 30 seconds of rest between reps and 4 minutes joggin between sets. The 30 seconds didn't seem very long.

Set 1: 37, 37, 37, 37, 37, 37, 37, 36
Set 2: 36, 37, 36, 36, 37, 37, 37, 37
Set 3: 37, 36, 37, 37, 38, 37, 39, 38

I got schooled by Kurt again on the last set. He ran great. I couldn't quite finish on pace, but I did my best.

No comments: