Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Parable of Two Sons

Matthew 21:28-32

28 “But what do you think about this? A man with two sons told the older boy, ‘Son, go out and work in the vineyard today.’ 29 The son answered, ‘No, I won’t go,’ but later he changed his mind and went anyway. 30 Then the father told the other son, ‘You go,’ and he said, ‘Yes, sir, I will.’ But he didn’t go.
31 “Which of the two obeyed his father?”

They replied, “The first.”

Then Jesus explained his meaning: “I tell you the truth, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do. 32 For John the Baptist came and showed you the right way to live, but you didn’t believe him, while tax collectors and prostitutes did. And even when you saw this happening, you refused to believe him and repent of your sins.




S - Scripture

31 “Which of the two obeyed his father?”

They replied, “The first.”

Then Jesus explained his meaning: “I tell you the truth, corrupt tax collectors and prostitutes will get into the Kingdom of God before you do.

O - Observation

Jesus was in the Temple speaking to the church leaders (verse 23). The message is that grace is something you cannot earn. It can only be given. The church leaders were trying to work out their own salvation and were failing (verse 30). Jesus also notes that actions speak louder than words (verse 31) and God offers us a second chance and a fresh start (verse 31).

Jesus reverses the popular thought of the day that moralism is the way to earn God acceptance. Jesus picks some of the most immoral - prostitutes and tax collectors - and notes they the Kingdom of God goes to the immoral who embrace grace as opposed to the moral who fail at the Law. The simple message is this: Salvation is about what God has done and our response of belief and repentance (verse 32).

A - Application

The application is to respond to God's grace instead of trying to be good enough. As Americans we like being self-sufficient. This does not translate to the Kingdom of God. It is not possible to work out our own salvation. This parable also gives something for the church to strive for: The goal of the church is not to be a rest home for saints rather a hospital for sinners. It is inclusive of all people regardless of our past successes or failures.

P - Prayer

Lord, it is my nature to keep trying to be good enough. Yet I fail. From this day on, help me to realize that salvation is not about what I can do on my own strength and will, but rather about my response to what you have already done. Help me to realize that I can't to your work without you. Free me from my need to live up to the Law and allow me to embrace your grace. Amen.

No comments: