Monday, June 28, 2010

The Parable of the Master and the Servant

Luke 17:7-10

7 When a servant comes in from plowing or taking care of sheep, does his master say, "Come in and eat with me"? 8 No, he says, "Prepare my meal, put on your apron, and serve me while I eat. Then you can eat later." 9 And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not. 10 In the same way, when you obey me you should say, "We are unworthy servants who have simply done our duty.”



S - Scripture

9 And does the master thank the servant for doing what he was told to do? Of course not.

O - Observation

This parable doesn't usually crack our list of favorites. It's not an obvious happy ending like the Laborers in the Vineyard or the Prodigal Son. Here are some things to consider:

  • God owes us nothing for good works.
  • Grace cannot be earned.

Jesus teaches that the reward for good works is nothing. The blessing is doing the good works. To be in a relationship with the Master and to serve the Master is the reward. In God's economy, doing the job is much more important than the salary.

A - Application

We generally expect a pay check, bonus, or reward for the work we do. This parable is in stark contrast to this line of thinking. The reward, Jesus says, is the work itself. The application is to experience joy and contentment in serving God. Brother Lawrence writes: We ought to give ourselves up to God, both in temporal and spiritual things, and seek our satisfaction only in fulfilling His will. Whether He leads us by suffering or consolation, all is the same to one truly resigned. Satisfaction is not enjoying God's creation; satisfaction is living in God's will.

P - Prayer

Lord, I often desire the things of the world. I want nothing more than to know the Creator of the world and to experience your love. Bless me and help me discover and follow your will for my life. Amen.

No comments: