Friday, June 18, 2010

The Parable of a Friend at Night

Luke 11:5-8

5 Then, teaching them more about prayer, he used this story: “Suppose you went to a friend’s house at midnight, wanting to borrow three loaves of bread. You say to him, 6 ‘A friend of mine has just arrived for a visit, and I have nothing for him to eat.’ 7 And suppose he calls out from his bedroom, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is locked for the night, and my family and I are all in bed. I can’t help you.’ 8 But I tell you this—though he won’t do it for friendship’s sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence.



S - Scripture

8 But I tell you this—though he won’t do it for friendship’s sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence.

O - Observation

Travellers often walked at night to avoid the heat of the day. It wasn't strange to get visitors at night. What was strange is the late night knocking on the door of a friend. Families would sleep together in the house which were usually one room. Imagine knocking on the door of a house knowing that you would wake the entire family. The host was willing to do this for some food for his guests.



A - Application

This is a parable about prayer. Specifically it is a parable about persistence in prayer. The idea of persistence in prayer is a common theme in the Hebrew Scriptures and in the teachings of Jesus.

But Jacob replied, "I will not let you go unless you bless me." -Genesis 32:26

Keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. -Matthew 7:7

Here are my applications:

  1. Ask God for big things.
  2. Don't be embarrassed in asking.
  3. Keep asking until God responds.

P - Prayer

Lord, I want to connect more with you. Help me be faithful in prayer. I know I do not have certain things in life, because I have not asked you. I know at times I haven't been patient and persistent enough in asking. Teach me to go to you first. Remove any reluctance I have in praying. Enable me to keep asking and to be more persistent in prayer. Amen.

No comments: