Thursday, February 1, 2007

Lemonade from Lemons

Lemonade from Lemons

I helped lead my men's small group this morning at 6:15. On the way to Perkins, I was thinking that it was a pretty cold morning. When I drove by a bank and the sign said it was two degrees above zero, my suspicion was confirmed. The same bank said -1 degree on my return trip home an hour and a half later. Not ideal running conditions.

I went home and threw on a pair of socks, two pairs of underwear, a pair of spandex tights, a pair of running pants, a short-sleeved Under Armor shirt, two long-sleeved performance shirts, a weather-proof outer layer, an Under Armor mask, a stocking cap, gloves, my trusty Asics Gel Nimbus--quite possibly the world's greatest running shoe, and my Garmin 305--100% more reliable than Maureen's internal GPS. By the way, that is a full load of laundry right there and I didn't even wash the shoes or the GPS. So I get to the lake and the trail is covered with two inches of fresh powder from yesterday's snow. Not ideal just turned bad.

Maureen and I planned to do our long run this morning as the weather is supposed to turn really bad. We completed our 20.25 mile journey a few hours later. God gave us lemon a lemon this morning, so we made lemonade.

I think we agreed that this was the most difficult twenty plus mile run either of us have done. The weather wasn't too bad because it wasn't windy. But, running on two inches of snow is kind of like running on a beach. It felt like we were running uphill the whole time. My thighs and buttocks are shot.

We were close to 8:00 minutes miles. A little faster at times; a little slower at times. Regardless, it was probably a 7:15 to 7:30 effort because of the snow.

I wasn't expecting much, but it was a great run.

Life is that way sometimes too. We are dealt a bad hand or a forced into a tough situation. We can't avoid such times in life. But our response seems to make all the difference. So when life throws a lemon at you--make lemonade!

3 comments:

dfinnestad said...

I really can not begin to understand how someone can put there body through the abuse you do. I am curious, what is you heart rate when you are running these kind of distances?

Also, after reading the lemons, I think I will stop wining about 45 degree sunny weather and get my bike out tomorrow...take care

Donovan

Craig Finnestad said...

Hey Donovan,

I got your email. Hope things are well. I am excited you are training for a marathon.

On long runs such as this, my pulse would be around 150 or so. Rarely below 140 and rarely above 160. The heart and lungs can generally go forever -- the legs are what usually give out.

Craig

dfinnestad said...

I can go run a 9 min pace comfortably and can not keep my HR under 165. When we are riding hill on our bikes, I can not keep it under 185. OUCH!

I just recently got a polar S625X, so now I can get my laptop involved, I think it will be interesting to track my progress as training increases..

Happy Birthday.

Donovan

PS I'm starting to enjoy your weekly podcast.