Thursday, July 10, 2014

On Criticism and Critics

Dear God,

I am grateful for Your correction, Your patience, and Your grace.
Thank you for the people in my life who have challenged me and made me better.

Speak to me through Scripture. May Your words light my path.
Speak to me through prayer. Connect Your heart to my heart.

This prayer was written in this chair

Place friends and prophets before me and beside me. 
Let them speak grace and truth into my life.

Give me an openness to hear hard, but loving words from You.
Give me an openness to hear hard, but loving words from others.

For those who criticize me unjustly and seek to belittle me:
     Teach me to respond to them with gentleness and self-control.
     Make it clear when I should remain silent.
     And give me courage when I should speak to clarify and calm.

May Your truth about me overwhelm any harsh words that come my way.
     Become bigger to me so my critics become smaller.
     Set me free from being a prisoner to the opinions of others.
     And I pray for the ones who put me down. Love them as only You can.

Help me to see people like You see people and love people like You love people.
Remove the insecure critic in me.

If my criticism of others is unjust and unhelpful – may I remain silent.
If my criticism of others is just and helpful – may I speak with grace and humility.

Bring me closer to You each day in all ways. 
Make my vocation building others up and not tearing others down.

Make me more like You today than I was yesterday.
Help me reflect Your goodness to the world.

Amen.

No comments: