Wednesday, March 27, 2013

But It's Easter

A prayer for Easter Sunday

Dear God, 

The morning begins with darkness and despair. 
     My transgressions. The sin of the world. The hatred of many. 
     Fear is widespread. Satan delights in Christ's death. 
     My worries. The helplessness of the world. The hopelessness of many. 

But it's Easter.
     Satan’s party has come to an abrupt and amazing ending. 
     The once broken and lifeless man has emerged from the tomb. 
     Christ is alive again! 

It’s a new day. 
     Faith calms fears. Love replaces hate. 
     Goodness repairs evil. Light overtakes darkness. 
     Grace forgives sin. Life resurrects death. 

I celebrate this day. 
     It is a day You have made. I rejoice! 
     The day Jesus rose from the dead. 
     Neither death nor life will ever be the same again. 

The day death died. 
     Death is swallowed up in victory. 
     The tomb couldn’t hold Jesus. 
     Nor can it hold those who follow him. 

You redeemed the world. 
     The cross was once a symbol of disgrace. 
     It now represents restoration and hope. 
     Erase my mistakes and fill me with Your grace. 

You comforted the world. 
     When the fatality and fragility of Friday comes into my life - 
     Remind me of the sweetness and salvation of Easter morning. 
     Heal my brokenness and let me begin again. 

You entered the world. 
     To seek out the lonely and lost. To serve the least and the little. 
     To save the sinner. To send out the saints. 
     To show humanity how to live and love. 

You changed the world. 
     You gave direction to the searching. 
     You forgave the prostitute of her sin. 
     You raised Lazurus from the dead. 

Enter my world and change my world. 
     Give me focus and direct my path. 
     Forgive me of my failings and sins. 
     Resurrect me to new levels of life – now and forever. 

Amen.

No comments: