Thursday, January 10, 2013

WE Just Bought a Van for Release Ministries

It was my first trip to the Douglas County Youth Detention Center. I walked through the building with the chaplain from Release Ministries. The cement walls and iron doors were in sharp contrast to his soft heart. He told me stories of how he used to live in a place much worse. The kids flocked to him. He encouraged some of them and offered tough words of love to others.



I noticed a boy in one of rooms. He looked a lot like my older son, Benjamin. The boy was probably a few years older. He seemed overwhelmed. I spoke to him for a few moments. He was shy and polite. I wondered why he was there. Not necessarily what he did, but why he did what he did. Did he have a dad who loved him? Was he seeking attention because nobody would give him attention? And I thought about where he would go when he got out of jail. What would happen to him next? 

After my tour, the founder of the ministry and the chaplain tried to sell me on the ministry. They didn’t need to. I was already sold. Investing in youth, visiting the prisoner, loving hurting people—it’s all in the front and center in the Gospel.

Today, a couple years later, The Water’s Edge and Release Ministry are partners. WE provide mentors and Bible study leaders. WE have done work projects at their group homes. WE support one of their missionaries financially.

I was recently challenged by one of our Release Bible study leaders to have The Water’s Edge buy a van for Release Ministries. He said it was a critical need and that he would make the first gift. It sounded like a big challenge which is the kind WE prefer. Last Sunday morning, for the first time, you learned of this need. And you responded the same way you always respond—with vision and generosity. WE not only met our goal to pay for the van in full – WE exceeded that goal by nearly $2,500. Last fall, Release asked us to build a deck at one of their group homes. We now have the money for the materials for the deck and will construct it this spring. 

A van is making its way around Omaha this week. A houseparent drives it. The passengers are teenagers who have recently been released from jail and are looking to get their lives back on track. They are being taken to schools, counseling appointments, and various other places to learn life skills. Your gift has made this possible. I am so grateful for your commitment to Christ and generosity to the world!

The best is yet to come… 

Craig

No comments: