Friday, November 2, 2012

Gratitude and Hope

I sit at my desk and see a reflection of myself in the glass of my bookcase. It’s a pretty dim reflection. Which is just as well. My five year old son David says I look like a hot dog when I wear the shirt I am wearing. 

The books behind the glass have absorbed the reflection for years. The books are no longer on the shelves; they are in boxes. Books on theology and Latin and communication theory. Most of them are in boxes now and will be there for quite some time. The shelves are dusty. My waste basket is full. A picture of my grandpa Adolf, Amber, and me remains on my desk. It is my favorite picture and will always be. Pictures of two boys share the wall space and four college and graduate school diplomas. They will be taken down whenever I have a few free moments. Today isn’t looking very good.

A few of the books needing to be moved


I have been in this office for over seven years. Some of my best friends work down the hall. I walked through the worship center the other day. I remembered the dozens of weddings and funerals. As I look at the door to my office I see hundreds of faces of loving men, women, and children who have stopped in for a visit. Most because they wanted to. Some because they had no where else to go. In a few days I’ll turn in my keys. I’ll drive out of the parking lot for the last time and look into the rearview mirror with feelings of gratitude and thanksgiving. 

I’ll drive to another parking lot about five miles to the west and through the windshield will see our new ministry center. Again my thoughts will be thoughts of gratitude and thanksgiving. For a new church that has the vision and resources to purchase such a building. For the men, women, and children who volunteered hundreds of hours to turn this dream into a reality. For being part of the blessed beginnings of something much bigger than any of us and all of us. For hope and possibilities that are a gift from God. 

The ministry center will be a work in progress for a few weeks. Boxes to be unpacked. Furniture to be delivered. Pictures to be hung. Networks, copiers, office supplies, etc… In the chaos of moving, worship will still be planned, meetings will still happen, and columns will still be written. WE will successfully complete our WE imagine capital campaign, WE will have three Christmas Eve worship experiences and welcome hundreds from the community, and 2013 will be our best year yet! Order, rhythm, balance, and harmony will emerge from the disarray and commotion. 

Life is a lot like this, you know. We have a choice to look in the rear view mirror or through the windshield. Every once in a while we have to look and see what is behind us: we learn from those who have taught us and we learn from our mistakes. But too much looking in the rearview mirror makes it impossible to arrive at our destination. 

Remembering the past with gratitude and moving forward with hope, 

Craig

No comments: