Friday, January 20, 2012

Pastor

I am a pastor. Some people even call me pastor. It’s kind of a strange word and a holy word. A word used only in church circles. St. Augustine came up with the job description for a pastor about 1600 years ago and it hasn’t changed much.

Disturbers are to be rebuked, the low-spirited to be encouraged, the infirm to be supported, objectors confuted, the treacherous guarded against, the unskilled taught, the lazy aroused, the contentious restrained, the haughty repressed, litigants pacified, the poor relieved, the oppressed liberated, the good approved, the evil borne with, and all are to be loved.


Not a bad job description as far as job descriptions go. At least the parts of it I understand. 

I am about as blessed as a pastor can be serving The Water’s Edge. The people at The Water’s Edge share God’s dream and the responsibility of being the church with me. Plus, you all are fun to share life with. 

Two women dreamed up and implemented a girl’s night out to connect women in the church. Nearly fifty women attended the outing. I wasn’t invited, but heard it was great! 

Over sixty people are running the Lincoln Marathon or Half-Marathon to raise money for hurting and marginalized people in Omaha, the United States, and throughout the world. 

Thirty households are excited to serve as organizational, relational, and spiritual leaders for our upcoming capital campaign this spring to raise the level of discipleship and purchase land for our future home. 

These are a few examples of the many things happening at The Water’s Edge. As a pastor, nothing brings me more joy than to see people connecting and growing. And, I want you to know the growth I am most interested in is yours. As a pastor, I will do my part to create environments and to help others and give permission to others to create environments where you can grow and connect. 

I want to encourage you to place yourself in environments where you will grow and connect. New small groups will be starting this February and many existing groups will be welcoming new people. Give one a try for six weeks! Our capital campaign will also be an excellent place to connect and grow. We will all be asked to pray and serve. All of us! We will have several opportunities to connect in small gatherings at people’s homes and all together as a congregation at the school and the property. The goal of the campaign will not be to raise a bunch of money. The goal of the campaign is to connect us to God, each other, and the world. This will be a great and exciting season for us! 

I’m blessed to be the pastor at The Water’s Edge and I look forward to growing with you and connecting with you in the future. 

The best it yet to come… 

Craig

No comments: