Friday, September 2, 2011

A Little Bit About Many Things

A Ten Year Old Promise (And Where I Am This Weekend) 

About ten years ago, a girl in the church I was serving in northwest Iowa asked me if I would do her wedding. I told her I would. She was young. Still had lots of school in front of her. She didn’t even have a boyfriend that I was aware of. A few months ago my phone rang. It was the girl who I haven’t talked to in about ten years. She is now a woman. I promised her I would do her wedding. This weekend I’m in Okoboji doing her wedding. I’m so grateful to all the volunteers who make things happen and we don’t miss a beat when I am gone. Thanks to Brad Krebs for doing this morning’s message. Brad is a middle school teacher at Russell Middle School and is a real blessing to us at The Water’s Edge.


Church Vote 

We had great participation at both campuses last week to approve the Church Council’s proposal for The Water’s Edge to become a separate United Methodist Church from Faith-Westwood. Support for this proposal was nearly unanimous at The Water’s Edge and was supported by a majority of members at Faith-Westwood as well. The Water’s Edge will become a United Methodist Church on January 1st, 2012. 

5th Birthday 

Next week will be one of our biggest weeks ever at The Water’s Edge. We will take time to remember the tragic events of ten years ago, September 11th, 2001. Events like this remind us of the importance of God in our lives. We will celebrate what God has done during our first five years and also look forward to what is going to be happening during the next five years. 


I’m Not a Fan of Jesus 

I’m not a fan of Jesus. A fan is a person who supports and cheers on others from the sideline. Jesus never asked us to be his fan. He asks us to be his followers. Completely committed followers. Starting next week, for six weeks, we will look at what it means to be a completely committed follower of Jesus. I look forward to taking this six-week journey with you. 

Small Groups 

We have about twenty small groups launching or relaunching next week. If there is one thing I want you to do this fall—it’s for you to try a small group for six weeks. Register by visiting the small group table on Sunday morning, going online, or by filling out the bulletin insert and placing it in the offering basket. 

Labor Day 

Enjoy the Labor Day Weekend. Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.” –Matthew 11:28-29 

The best is yet to come… 

Craig

No comments: