Sunday, April 10, 2011

It Is Finished - Audio

Here is my sermon from this weekend. Listen.

Creation was abusing their Creator.

Humanity was at its worst and God was at His best.



John 19:28 

Jesus knew that his mission was now finished, and to fulfill Scripture he said, “I am thirsty.” A jar of sour wine was sitting there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put it on a hyssop branch, and held it up to his lips. When Jesus had tasted it, he said, “It is finished!” Then he bowed his head and released his spirit.


He did what God sent his to do. 


It is finished - tetelestai – tet a les ti - to end, complete, execute, discharge a debt 


Servant returning to his master: I have finished. 
Merchant declaring: The debt is paid in full.
Priest examining a lamb for sacrifice: It is perfect. 

You have unfinished business. God wants to do more in you and through you.

Revelation 3:1-2 

I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God.

What is your unfinished business?
What is a dream that hasn’t happened?
What keeps you up at night? 

We live in a culture where many start and few finish.

Philippians 1:6 

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns. 

Steps to Finishing

1. Make a Commitment 

2 Corinthians 8:11 

Now you should finish what you started. Let the eagerness you showed in the beginning be matched now by your giving. 

Eagerness is not commitment

Commitment = Eagerness + Resolve not to quit 

Cortez burned his boats. So did Jesus.

Luke 22:42 

Father, if you are willing, please take this cup of suffering away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine. 

2. Take the Next Step

Psalms 119:105 

Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path.

What is your next step?


My country didn’t send me here to start. They sent me to finish. 

Your God didn’t send you here to start – he sent you here to finish. 

Acts 20:24 

But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus—the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.

No comments: