Tuesday, April 22, 2008

It's Jen Hill's Fault

A few weeks ago I walked into a co-worker's office and had the following conversation that went something like this:

Jen Hill: Hey Craig, been blogging lately?

Craig: (Knowing that Jen knew the answer.) I haven't even had time to read blogs let alone write in them.

Jen Hill: Oh well. Nobody read it anyway.

It is great to have such support among colleagues. Anyway, for my mom, Jen Hill, and others, I'll others -- here it goes.

Early morning run today. I like going early because the run always gets done that way. 11 miles in the hills in about an hour and 27 minutes. Pretty easy run.

I was thinking the run this morning was grace. Grace is something you can never get but can only be given. There's no way to earn it or deserve it any more than you deserve the smell of fresh roses or can plan your own birth. Holding a baby is grace. So is an afternoon nap. Laughter is grace and so are most tears. The sunrise, climbing a hill, the heart slowing down post-run, and the taste of the original lemon-lime Gatorade -- they are all grace. Somebody loving you is grace. Loving some one is grace too.

I hope your day is full of grace! Even you Jen.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back Craig! I've missed your insights. Zen-like Grace is everywhere if we recognize everything is a gift, even the bad stuff (burned toast, sour milk (what I had for supper)).
Thanks Jill.

Mike said...

Thanks Jill. Your not the only one that has wondered if Craigs fingers quit working.

Craig Finnestad said...

Jill,

I'm not sure that burned toast and sour milk for supper is grace. I guess it probably is because it is likely to make you appreciate milk that isn't sour, toast that isn't burned, and pretty much everything else even more. Thanks for sharing your dinner menu.

Craig

Craig Finnestad said...

Hey Mike,

I enjoyed reading your blog tonight. It is good to hear from you. You are going to make a great Chaplain. I'm grateful you are being faithful to God calling you into this much needed ministry.