Friday, March 11, 2011

Last Words

If I knew I had less than one day to live, I would choose my words wisely. No messing around. No time for small talk. I would focus on the things that matter most.

  • If I could live life over, what would I do the exact same way?
  • If I could do it all over again, what would I do differently?
  • What did I learn that I want to share with others who mean the most to me?


The words that come out of my mouth might sound something like this:

  • Each day is a gift. Accept it, embrace it, use it, and share it.
  • It’s the pebble in your shoe and not the mountain in front of you that will likely wear you out.
  • The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
  • Accept people for being their true selves, encourage people to become their true selves, but never allow somebody to be ruined by their self-destructive behaviors.
  • Joy is not in things; it is in people and in us.
  • Sin is not hurtful because it is forbidden; sin is forbidden because it is hurtful.
  • Forgiveness is the key to happiness and contentment. Forgiving and living is better than remembering and resenting.
  • The most productive use of our time is investing in future generations.
  • Our attitude in life determines life’s attitude toward us.
  • God loves you.

I would tell the boys these things and pretty much whomever else would listen.

Jesus was living his last day. He knew he was going to die. What did he say? Not a whole lot. But every time he opened his mouth, there was nothing quite like it:

  • Not my will, but yours be done.
  • Why have you forsaken me?
  • Father forgive them.
  • I thirst.
  • It is finished.
  • You will be with me in paradise.

Over the next six weeks we will be looking at what Jesus said during his last day. It was the day that changed everything. The world hasn’t been the same since and I pray your world will be different and better because of the words Jesus spoke on his last day. I also invite you to join me in reading through the Gospel of Matthew together during this season of Lent. A Bible reading plan is found in this bulletin and on our web site.

I also pray that all of us—during this time of Lent—grow closer to God, discover our true selves, and connect on a more meaningful level to other people. That is what the season is all about.

The best is yet to come…

Craig

No comments: