Thursday, February 10, 2011

I Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way

The six least favorite words Amber says to me are: “Craig, will you hold my purse?”

Nothing good can come from this exchange. Neutral is the best I can do. I take the purse. I have no choice in the matter. Her question is of the rhetorical variety. I would actually prefer she trim the six words to three words and the turn the question into a statement: “Hold my purse.” At least it would be clear to everybody that I don’t have a choice in this matter.


As I receive the purse from Amber, I simultaneously scan the horizon for people I might know. I’m only kind of adverse to looking like a fool in front of strangers. I’m very adverse to looking like a fool in front of people I know. And it never fails, the only way I am guaranteed to see somebody I know in public is when I am holding Amber’s purse. Her purse is like a giant magnet to my friends.

And I enjoy the comments:

  • Nice purse Craig, it goes well with your shoes.
  • A Gucci? Pastor we must be paying you too much.
  • Hey Craig, do you have some mascara I can use?
  • My wife has that same purse, except hers is black.

But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Fool : noun : One who appears ridiculous.

If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise. -1 Corinthians 3:18

We are fools for Christ. -1 Corinthians 4:10

Being a disciple today has an aura of foolishness to it.

The world says to do what you have to do to be happy. We call it the pursuit of happiness. The disciple seeks holiness. Happiness will likely occur when holiness is pursued, but happiness isn’t the goal. Holiness is.

We live in a society where individual achievement is glorified and self-sufficiency is a virtue. We like to get things done all by ourselves. The disciple depends on God, depends on others, and is dependable to others.

We earn what we have in life: our paychecks, our report cards, etc… The disciple simply receives. Grace can’t be earned. Only accepted and given.

Justice is an American virtue. People should get what they deserve. The disciple embodies forgiveness. The disciple realizes people are imperfect, takes God’s advice, and cuts others some slack.

Instead of keeping, the disciple gives generously. Instead of seeking honor, the disciple seeks humility. And, instead of being served, the disciple serves whoever, whenever.

Seeking holiness, depending on God, receiving grace, forgiving others, and being generous, humble servant. Kind of seems foolish. Doesn’t it?

Of course it is. And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

The best is yet to come…

Craig

No comments: