Friday, July 23, 2010

Kids

Kids. I have two of them. Both are boys. Benjamin is nine and David is three. Amber was out of town most of last week, so I got to spend lots of time with them. We played games, went swimming, wrestled, made a few trips to Sonic, and had fun. They are a joy and a blessing to me. One of my prayers for them moving forward is they will be a joy and a blessing to others throughout the days of their lives.

I worked with a bunch of kids at Vacation Bible School this week. The pre-school and elementary games were usually where I ended up. It was wonderful to see the kids playing, praying, singing, learning, relating, and growing. Each one of these children is loved by God. A special place exists in God’s heart that can only be filled by the love of each child. I’m so grateful for the dozens of leaders and volunteers who made this week possible for each of these children.

Next week I’ll be leading a camp for a bunch of 3rd through 6th graders. Thirty sets of parents have entrusted me with the care of at least one of their children for an entire week. I am looking forward to meeting each of these children, having fun with them, and hopefully helping them grow in their relationship with God.

This summer, some of our teenagers went on trips to Minneapolis, Colorado, and West Virginia. They sang, painted, tore-down, fixed, and built. They had an opportunity to serve, pray, relate, give, forgive, help, love, and connect. Many of our adults gave up vacation or income to mentor and serve alongside of our youth. The trips are a wonderful example of ordinary people doing extra-ordinary things through a great big God.

Today we get to hear the children from Vacation Bible School sing. We also get to hear some of our older students and leaders share about their recent trips. God can use whoever He wants to speak to whoever He wants. I know that God will use the young to speak His grace, power, and love to all of us this morning.

Then Jesus said, “Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children.” And he placed his hands on their heads and blessed them before he left. –Matthew 19:14-15

After the food is gone, the instruments are pack-up, and the chairs are put away and we go about our business for the day, I have a challenge for us: I pray we become a congregation who places the highest priority in raising children who love God and love others. It’s my dream that together we raise my children, your children, and God’s children.

The best is yet to come…

Craig

No comments: