Monday, April 27, 2009

First Steps

I have taken an entire month off from running. Being partial to round numbers and such, I was going to wait until May 1st to start running again, but I finally had enough. My mind needed the run a whole lot more than my body did. So I laced up a new pair of Brooks Ghost, fired up the trusty Garmin 305, and started running.

It seemed a little awkward at first. I was probably over thinking my injury and listening too carefully for any signs of weakness in my groin area / lower abdominal area. I just ran on the trail in my neighborhood. Each loop is 1.45 miles. I figured I would do three loops, but knew I could back out after one or two loops, if needed. After a while, I got into a nice rhythm and was running without thinking about the injury.

I gained some weight during the last month and never ran or cross-trained once, so I was worried I would be pretty out of shape. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did have a little soreness in my groin and hip, but nothing in my lower abs. I'll keep it short and easy for a while and keep doing my stretching and strengthening excercises.

I've learned a number of lessons in the last month:
  1. I should always be thankful for days of health and strength.
  2. I run more for my mind than I run for my body or for competition.
  3. Rest and patience are virtues in running and in life.
  4. I'm just as happy and content without running in my life. I'm more well-adjusted when I am able to run. Running is a time that I spend with God and a time when I can dream and be most creative.
Thanks to all of you who have been praying for my recovery.

No comments: