Sunday, March 21, 2010

Vision and Commitment

Listen to this morning's sermon.

It is very dangerous to go into eternity with possibilities which one has oneself prevented from becoming realities. A possibility is a hint from God. One must follow it. -Sören Kierkegaard

No matter how dark things seem to be or actually are, raise your sights and see the possibilities – always see them, for they're always there. -Norman Vincent Peale

I can teach anybody how to get what they want out of life. The problem is that I can't find anybody who can tell me what they want. –Mark Twain

Early the following spring, in the month of Nisan, during the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes’ reign, I was serving the king his wine. I had never before appeared sad in his presence. So the king asked me, “Why are you looking so sad? You don’t look sick to me. You must be deeply troubled.” Then I was terrified, but I replied, “Long live the king! How can I not be sad? For the city where my ancestors are buried is in ruins, and the gates have been destroyed by fire.” The king asked, “Well, how can I help you?” With a prayer to the God of heaven, I replied, “If it please the king, and if you are pleased with me, your servant, send me to Judah to rebuild the city where my ancestors are buried.” –Nehmiah 2:1-5

Prayers

The value of consistent prayer is not that He will hear us, but that we will hear Him. -William McGill

What we usually pray to God is not that His will be done, but that He approve ours. -Helga Bergold Gross

Presence

They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity. -Acts 2:46

Gifts

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. -Winston Churchill

The people of Israel responded immediately and generously by bringing the first of their crops and grain, new wine, olive oil, honey, and all the produce of their fields. They brought a large quantity—a tithe of all they produced. -2 Chronicles 31:5

You must each decide in your heart how much to give. And don’t give reluctantly or in response to pressure. “For God loves a person who gives cheerfully. -2 Corinthians 9:7

Service

Small things done in great love will change the world.

For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many. –Matthew 20:28

Witness

You will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. –Acts 1:8

No comments: