Saturday, July 21, 2007

George

Quotes from George Sheehan -- runner, author, speaker, doctor, etc...

His book Running and Being is a classic.

  • Life is the great experiment. Each of us is an experiment of one-observer and subject-making choices, living with them, recording the effects.
  • Success rests in having the courage and endurance and, above all, the will to become the person you are, however peculiar that may be. Then you will be able to say, "I have found my hero and he is me."
  • Fitness has to be fun. If it is not play, there will be no fitness. Play, you see, is the process. Fitness is merely the product.
  • Listen to your body.
  • Sweat cleanses from the inside. It comes from places a shower will never reach.
  • There is no substitute for learning to live in our bodies. All the tests and all the machines in the world will fail if we do not first become good animals.
  • No matter how old I get, the race remains one of life's most rewarding experiences. My times become slower and slower, but the experience of the race is unchanged: each race a drama, each race a challenge, each race stretching me in one way or another, and each race telling me more about myself and others.
  • Play is where life lives.
  • Once you have decided that winning isn't everything, you become a winner.
  • Everyone is an athlete. The only difference is that some of us are in training, and some are not.

I had to run early today as I had a very busy day. Imagine that. Thanks to Robert and Machelle for being willing to start at 6:00 on a Saturday morning. We did 13 miles. 7.5 miles at Lake Zorinsky and 5.5 miles in the infamous F Street Hills. Will joined us in the F Street Hills. It was a near perfect morning for a run. 81.5 miles for the week.

No comments: