Wednesday, October 9, 2013

On Gratitude

Esther, our giant and growing puppy, was ready to go outside and her oversized tongue was more than happy to let me know this little fact. It wasn’t even six o’clock in the morning and I protested. She doesn’t understand English yet and was relentless as an hourglass. My first few steps weren’t pretty. I discovered I had a sore left foot and my upper legs weren’t feeling the best either. I stumbled through our dark bedroom, stepped on some kind of Lego which only added insult to my injury, and eventually found my robe and slippers. I made it down the stairs one with the help of my arms and the railing at a time at a pace that wasn’t even close to being acceptable to Esther. We spent some time the in brisk fall air, went inside, and started the day.

Esther Finnestad

The day didn’t start out how I hoped and it started a little earlier than I hoped. But God’s words remain as true as they are steadfast: This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it. –Psalm 118:24 

When I got to my office after dropping Benjamin off at school, I decided that I was going to rejoice and be glad. So I made a little list of things I’m grateful about. 

  • Last night I played soccer for 90 minutes with a dozen twelve-year-old boys and one six-year-old boy. A sore foot doesn’t seem like a big deal anymore. 
  • We have this puppy who is now part of our family. She is sweet, playful, and loving. I needed to get out of bed and get going anyway. 
  • David’s laughter. It brings a smile to my face every time I hear it. I’m blessed he laughs a lot. 
  • The teachers who invest so much time and energy in my two sons. Their lives are better because of you. 
  • The Water’s Edge staff for putting up with my big dreams, last minute changes, and busy schedule. My live is better because of you. 
  • Today’s lunch date with Amber. She’s a great wife and a great mom. 
  • That I’m saved by grace through faith. (Ephesians 2:8) That I am loved by God. (John 15:13) 
  • That I serve a church with the greatest people I have ever known: People who are examples of giving, serving, and loving. I’m blessed to be taking this journey of life with you. 
  • For my small group. It is an eclectic group of men and women who laugh, learn, and pray together.
  • Prayer. Fresh apples. Forgiveness. Friends. Hope. Laughter. Grace. 

Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. -1 Thessalonians 5:18 

When God tells us to be gratefu it is more for us than it is for God. It does something in us. I know it did in me today. I think tomorrow I’ll come up with another list. 

The best is yet to come… 

Craig

2 comments:

Karen said...

I was sitting here this morning wishing my feet didn't hurt. You've inspired me to write a list of my own! Thanks! Karen

Jessica said...

Thank you for this!