Thursday, December 6, 2012

Prayer on Joy

Dear God, 

Sometimes I feel sad. 
Sometimes I experience regret and remorse. 
Sometimes my life is filled with disappointment, doubt, and despair.



Take away whatever is preventing me from embracing the joy You freely give.
Purify me from my sins. 
Remove the stain of my guilt. 
Make me pure and holy. 
Give me back my joy again. 
          I have been settling for less. Sometimes a lot less. 
Create in me a clean heart, O God. 
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation. 
Make me willing to obey You. (Psalm 51:7-12) 

Help me to find joy in all things: (Philippians 4:4) 
          The trials of life where I can grow and depend fully on You. (James 1:2) 
          The victories and successes because of my growth and Your grace. 
          Times of busyness and boredom. 
          And typical, normal, and ordinary days.

Transform dysfunctional and unhealthy relationships into flourishing friendships. 
Don’t let others steal or diminish my joy! 
Place people in my life who will bring me joy. 
Place people in my life I can share my joy with. 

Teach me to rejoice in hope, 
     be patient in tribulation, 
          and consistent in prayer. (Romans 12:12) 
Empower me to keep on asking for more of You 
     and more joy in my life. (John 16:24) 
Help me to trust in Your unfailing love 
     and not things of the world that will let me down 
          so that my joy depends only on You. (Romans 14:17) 
Lead me from any sorrows I currently am experiencing 
     to an abundant and eternal relationship with You— 
          a relationship filled with joy. (John 16:22) 

I give You my disappointment, doubt, and despair. 
I give You my regret and remorse. 
I give you my sorrows. 
Give me joy and help me receive and embrace it. 

Amen.

No comments: