Sunday, January 4, 2015

Today's Message and Notes



Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words. -St. Francis

In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God. –John 1:1

So the Word became human and made his home among us. He was full of unfailing love and faithfulness. John 1:14

Pastor Craig's Prayer for 2015


Lord, 

May I be forgiven and forgiving. 
Loved and loving. 
A recipient of grace and a giver of grace. 
Patient, kind, humble, and balanced. 
May others see You through me. 

Amen.

1. Listen for the Divine Whisper

9 There he came to a cave, where he spent the night.
But the Lord said to him, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”

10 Elijah replied, “I have zealously served the Lord God Almighty. But the people of Israel have broken their covenant with you, torn down your altars, and killed every one of your prophets. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me, too.”

11 “Go out and stand before me on the mountain,” the Lord told him. And as Elijah stood there, the Lord passed by, and a mighty windstorm hit the mountain. It was such a terrible blast that the rocks were torn loose, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. 12 And after the earthquake there was a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire there was the sound of a gentle whisper. -1 Kings 19:9-12

Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. – James 1:19

2. Recognize Your Sacred Shout

C. S. Lewis said God whispers to us in our pleasures but shouts to us in our pain. It is His megaphone to rouse a deaf word.

So the Word became human and made his home among us. –John 1:14

God can take our mess and turn it into our message. Don't give up. Grow. Don't be bitter. Help others get better.

3. Embrace Your Holy Disturbance

Disturb us Oh Lord, when we are too pleased with ourselves, when our dreams have come true because we dreamed too little, when we arrived safely because we sailed too close to the shore! –Sir Francis Drake

For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. –Ephesians 2:10

John Wesley's Covenant Prayer for Today

I was once mine. From this point forward, I am yours. 
Make clear my purposes in life. 
Place me among my loved ones and expand my heart to love all. 

Help me to think the things you want me to think, 
say the things you want me to say, 
and do the things you want me to do, 
even if it means I am belittled, ignored, or criticized. 

Give me people to encourage, serve, and love. 
Give me times of peace and rest so I can love and be loved by you. 
Let me be a light to a dark world so people can see you working in me. 
Make me humble and remind me that everything I have is because of you. 

Thank you for times of happiness and prosperity 
they are a gift. 
Thank you for your presence and promise in days of sadness and hardship 
I emerge stronger and wiser. 

Let me discover, embrace, and fulfill your will for my life. 

With joy and in fullness, 
I give my possessions, my time, and my energy 
to you and to your purposes. 

Almighty, holy, and blessed God: 
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, 
you are my true love and I am yours. 

And so it is. Let the covenant I am making here on earth be acceptable and pleasing to you. 

Amen.

No comments: