Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Prayer of Acceptance

Sunday morning worship and WE at Night this weekend is about rejection. We all have dealt with it, deal with it, and will deal with it. Jesus did too. If you are feeling rejected -- here is a prayer we are going to pray this Sunday -- A Prayer of Acceptance.

Dear God,

I search for acceptance. 
     Acceptance from others.
     Acceptance from You.
     Acceptance from myself.

David. Imperfect, but accepted by others and by God.

During the daylight I feel unaccepted for who I am.
     My appearance. My age. 
     My beliefs. My body.
     My color. My creed.
     My disabilities. My dysfunction. 
     My education. My employment.

During the nighttime I feel unaccepted for what I have done.
     My failures. My flaws.
     My guilt. My guile.
     My hurts. My hopelessness.
     My iniquities. My indignation.
     My jealousy. My juvenileness.

Let me not consume myself with earning the acceptance of others.
     I want to strive to please You.
When others don’t accept me for one reason or another,
     Remind me that my worth doesn’t come from an imperfect person.
     Remind me that my value comes from You.

Accept me for who I am. Accept me for who I am not.
     Seek me out and invite me to hold close Your acceptance.
     Save me from not accepting Your grace.

Help me accept myself for who I am and who I am not.
     Despite my past. Despite my shortcomings.
     Despite my mistakes. Despite my faults. 

Give me the grace to accept myself and the wisdom and 

     the strength to change the things about myself that I cannot accept.

As I have been accepted by You, make me accepting of others.
     Not to judge, but to welcome.
     Not to exclude, but to embrace.
     Not to reject, but to support.
     Not to ignore, but to notice. 
     Not to disregard, but to value.
     Not to hurt, but to help.

You have accepted me during the moments of my life I have been least acceptable. That is Your grace.

May I give others the same grace You have given me.
May I give others the same acceptance You have given me.

Amen.

No comments: