Thursday, November 29, 2007

Root Canal

I walked into the dental office about 15 minutes early. Those of you who know me well know that is a small miracle. I made small talk with the receptionist for a while. She had a good Thanksgiving and ate too much. Like I said, it was small talk.

The root canal was surprisingly painless. The only painful part of the procedure was when I got my third of three shots to numb my mouth. I made small talk with the endodontist and his assistant. She talked about the Christmas lights across the street. He was looking forward to pheasant hunting in the snow. Both asked about the church. I was the first pastor they remember working on. I don't know if we all have good dental habits or what? They remember a priest from a few years ago. He made them call him "Father." I told them pretty much everybody calls me Craig except my mom (Ben -- long story), Amber (Tig -- another long story), and Benjamin (daddy). The drilling was kind of wierd. I think I'll wear an iPod if I ever need another root canal. Lots of money later, I was almost as good as new.

It was strange trying to eat with a numb mouth. I kept felt like I was spilling. I got feeling back in my mouth just after dinner. I am off now to floss and gargle some mouthwash.

In life as in teeth, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

No comments: